Monday, November 14, 2011

Salient Magazine


In 2005 I was hired as the lead designer on Salient Magazine, the student magazine for Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand. It is widely respected for its uncompromising stance and in 2005 we received national attention for exposing an underhanded covert student fee hike by Victoria University.

It was a great job. It taught me a ton about designing for print to a hard weekly deadline as we had to FTP it off to the printer every Thursday night / Friday morning. Weekly print design requires both planning and stamina! I redesigned the magazine masthead and was responsible for all text layout, illustration, photography and typography, as well as the look and feel of the website. It was pretty much an intensive year long course in Adobe InDesign, which I much prefer to Quark.

I had a lot of fun designing the covers using a variety of styles and media; I was trying to push vibrant dynamic compositions, figuring that if I could compel someone to pick it up then my job was a success.


I won an ASPA award for the above cover for issue 17. We also came 2nd in the best student magazine category.

1 comment:

Harry Chapman said...

Hey I've used one of your cover photos (in a low resolution version), in the wikipedia article for Salient magazine. Hope that's okay!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Salient_magazine_cover_11_April_2005.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salient_(magazine)